If you’re always on survival mode and can barely seem to get by on a monthly basis, you may have an out-of-balance root chakra. Represented by the color red, this is perhaps the most important chakra of all given the fact that it lays a foundation for all other chakras. In this post, we’ll take a look at what a healthy root chakra looks and feels like as well as what you can do to rebalance one that’s not in its best shape.
The root chakra represents the survival instinct that’s present in all of us. It also stands for the need for a person to find his or her roots, a sense of grounding, security and the need to get the needed support from oneself as well as others for the purposes of thriving and surviving.
If your root chakra is on overdrive, you may have a problem controlling yourself. You may binge eat, hoard money, become very critical and get caught up in cynicism as well as negativity. It becomes a vicious cycle that is self-fulfilling. You will be the kind of person who will do whatever they can to win, even when it alienates other people. You may also suffer from anxiety and depression and feel unsure about your future. Even when there’s abundance around you, you may never really truly feel safe and okay, preferring to amass and hoard things because of an illusion that things may run out.
If your root chakra is balanced, you will have faith in yourself as well as other people. You will also be confident in your ability to provide for yourself as well as others, as well as have unshakable faith in the future and the fact that everything will work itself out. You will be able to form healthy relationships that will flourish with time, and you will understand and accept the cyclical nature of most things in life.
Here are a few things you can do to rebalance and heal your root chakra:
- Walk barefoot outside. This is a practice that’s known as grounding. Your feet touching the earth will help reestablish the connection with Mother Earth, fostering feelings of security and grounding you in ways you never thought possible.
- Start working towards self-reliance and autonomy. This could involve speaking with someone about you finances, signing up for life-classes, meeting with like-minded people and reconnecting with the deepest part of you through spiritualism.
- Surround yourself with the color red. This is the root chakra color, and it instills in you a confidence that can’t be shaken due to any uncertainties that you may encounter in life.
- Practice yoga poses that require you to sit on a yoga mat for a long time such as the pigeon pose. Yoga is a great way to ground and reconnect with your body on a primal level.
- Dance like nobody’s watching. This shakes up all the meridians in your body, realigning any kind of energy that may be disrupting the normal flow of prana to your root chakra.
Your root chakra is your foundation; if you take care of it, you’ll be able to affect the other chakras in your body in a more positive and holistic way.